Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Jun 1998 17:14:37 -0600
From:         Fred Porter <fporter@EYRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: loud trans clanging in reverse and first
Comments: To: drillock@earthlink.net
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

the clanging is not linked to RPM like 1 clang every rev or a multiple of RPM (other than it is most noticeable in 1st and more so, reverse, ie low RPMs), rather it is linked to the lurching which is some part of a feedback loop between the lurching and the weight of my foot on the gas pedal. lurch clangity-clang, lurch clang, lurch clang clang, etc.

what i don't understand is why it is soooo bad after a long drive, but not during my normal commute. Mark McCulley suggested throttle switches: maybe the idle throttle switch is misbehaving and telling it to go to idle fuel cuttoff at RPMs higher than idle or it may be intermittantly closing and going back and forth between idle fuel cuttoff and normal throttle/AFM operation?? But if that is the case why only after a long/warm drive and not during day to day?

since the clanging doesn't speed up or slow down with engine rpm and doesn't happen while happily cruising, i don't suspect the driveshaft...its more like a ringing of the trans due to the lurching.

thanks, fred

mark drillock wrote: > > When you say clanging, how many clangs are there each time? Many > syncros clang once starting off in first and reverse(mostly when hot). I > don't think it's anything to worry about as all syncros I have owned did > it and the 2 I still own have been doing it for 1 and 4 years. If it is > more than just 1 clang I would worry about it and would suspect a drive > shaft U-joint problem. Remove the drive shaft and check the U-joints. If > someone tells you that they can check them without removing the whole > shaft, go somewhere else!(or do it yourself, I do). As for the lurching > you mention, I would say it is most likely clutch related as the trans > isn't likely to heal itself. Let the list know what the resolution is > when you find one. > Mark Drillock