Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Jun 1998 22:10:10 -0400
From:         Eric Henning <henning@FP.COM>
Subject:      CV joint bolts
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I was checking my CV joint in prep for a long 4th of July trip. Every 6 mm hex head bolt came out great with the exception of one on each joint. stripped hex. anything special about these? can i just get the appropriate lenght/thread, 6 mm hex head bolt from the FLAPS? Any danger to over-torqueing these CV joint bolts? Also other than clicking noise what happens when the CV's go bad, vibration, grinding to a halt? Every now and then I hear a slight ticking noise from one of the wheels but it goes away. I swapped/ reversed axels as somewhat preventative maintenance and will pick up some spare CV's to bring along.

Went on our first family shakedown camp-out this past week-end. Kids loved it but falling asleep was tough as when one of us (2 parents, 2 kids, 6 & 8) moved the whole van would shake. Gotta get a side or rear tent. lightning bug show was surreal. never saw so many, so bright, way up in the trees, all over. kids were mesmerized.

will be heading up to Rhode Island from Philadelphia along I95 July 2. so if you see a maroon 80 westy with a bunch of bikes and a peace sign in the back, give us a wave. if you see us on the side of the road, give us a hand (please) or at least an encouraging word.

This will be the first "real" excursion for my van.

thanks

eric 80 westy henning@fp.com