Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Jun 1998 19:10:38 +0000
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <cr\hyates@bert.cr.bcit.bc.ca>
From:         Harry Yates <hyates@BERT.CR.BCIT.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Traveling from Central BC to Southern Saskatchewan any route
Comments: To: vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

David, done the "cross-Canada" thing a few times in our '90, and just loved it. I like the "back routes" as they are less travelled, and more scenic.. IMHO.

Take Hwy 16 (Yellowhead) as one direction, and definitely drop in on the following highlights (IMHO, of course): Mt. Robson Prov Park near Alberta border (about an hour west of Jasper, Alberta). Awesome views, and excellent hiking available. Jasper National Park... lots of hiking/views available, lots of wildlife. Elk Island Nat. Park just east of Edmonton, Alberta. I know you are going to Saskatoon, but make a side trip from North Battleford, Sask, and head east on Hwy 40 to Prince Albert, Sask. Go north on Hwy 2 to Prince Albert Nat Park. Excellent place.

For an alternate route, go hwy 3 from Hope, BC to the Alberta border. Excellent stuff to see and do throughout this road. Everything from hiking, fishing, wine tasting :), and excellent camping. Highlights for me are Manning Park (45 minutes east of Hope), Christina Lake, Moyie Lake Prov Park. Once in Alberta, the Frank Slide is a must see, just east of Coleman, Alberta. Waterton Lakes Nat Park in the SW corner of Alberta is awesome, and definitely worth the stay.. you go south on Hwy 6 from Pincher Creek, Alberta. Heading out of Waterton, you can go to Ft. Macloed, and see the Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump. It is run by the natives in the area, and they have done an excellent job of this. Worth the trip. This would be on Hwy 2. From Ft. Macloed, you can go to Calgary on Hwy 2, and then on Hwy 9 to Drumheller, Hanna, and cross into Saskatchewan (Hwy 7 in Sask) all the way to Saskatoon OR, take Hwy 3 east through Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, and then Hwy 1 to Maple Creek, Saskatchewan. From Maple Creek go south on Hwy 21 to Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park. Very nice park. Continue from there along Hwy 21 to Hwy 13 to Weyburn, Sask, and then north on Hwy 35, and 33 to Regina. Check out the RCMP Academy, in Regina. From Regina, take a road of choice (Hwy 11 freeway) to Saskatoon if you like.

We have travelled many routes across Canada, and highly recommend staying off Hwy 1 east of Calgary to Winnipeg!! (I know Winnipeg is further east!) Hwy 1 has lots of truck traffic, congested, and always seems to have lots of road construction. The back roads have speed limits of 100 km/hr, are in good condition with very little traffic. Also, the scenery is *much* better, IMHO.

Hope this helps, Harry.