Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Jul 1998 08:10:51 -0400
From:         "John C. Villines" <jcvinc@MAIL.ATL.BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Wanted: hard case to fit in luggage compartment

I've tried several different hard cases and have consistently used one of the following with satisfaction. In each case, their was not a noticeable different in fuel consumption, though the appearance was anything but aerodynamic. I suspect that is because the Vanagon is really not very slippery to start with.

1) Rubbermaid footlocker (mine was a blue thick plastic with hinged top); 2) Large black plastic truck tool box from Home Depot (sorry, manufacturer name long gone). This box was basically rectangular, with a slightly inset, smaller circumfrence base. I had to measure several models before finding this one which actually BARELY fits into the luggage area (front to back) and leaves several inches on either side.

The trick to securing the box (or at least what worked for me) was to purchase two large (about 2 inch diameter) eyebolts and install one on each side of the box, using large flat metal washers (for structural support) and rubber washers (waterproofing) which I made from pieces of rubber from a plumbing supply. Installing those about 3/4 of the way up on each side and then attaching two heavy duty bungee cords on each side (in a triangular shape; one to the front corner and one to the back corner of the luggage compartment) seemed quite adequate. Just to be safe, however, I added two more bungees: one front to back on each side. I also used a bike cable lock to secure through one of the eyebolts, as added security when the box was unattended. We travelled at interstate speeds and on winding mountain roads for about two weeks on one trip and have driven through much rain...it didn't budge or leak.

Hope this helps.