Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Jul 1998 21:02:00 EDT
From:         Scott DeSanti <Scooter061@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rad Fan
Comments: To: carters@thegrid.net
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

<< Okay...again, you are probably way ahead of me, but FWIW, the following info is condensed from my Haynes re locating a ground fault:

"To check whether a component is properly grounded, disconnect the battery, and connect one lead of an ohmmeter to a known good ground point. Connect the other lead to the wire or ground being tested. The resistance reading should be zero; if not check the connection as follow:

If a ground connection is thought to be faulty, dismantle the connection, and clean back to bare metal both the bodyshell and the wire terminal or the component ground connection mating surface. Be careful to remove all traces of dirt and corrosion, then use a knife to trim away any paint, so that a clean metal to metal joint is made. On reassembly, tighten the joint fasteners securely."

Of course this doesn't help if the ground problem is somewhere along the hot lead but at least this can help the deductive process.

Maybe I couldn't help you but I learned from you the trick of using the A/C to actuate the rad fan! Thanks! 8~) >> Thanks again Kit, But, you're right...I was ahead of you.... turns out the ground off the fan motor had degraded to 6 kohms. I cleaned the ground terminals behind the fuse box where it's supposed to connect but no dice. Apparently, corrosion inside the ground wire itself has caused this increase in resistance. I was able to regain full function by installing a second ground wire of equal guage to a ground point under the gear shift. Trimmed and treated the metal for good contact and covered with protectant. She works good now. Thermotime and resistor both check good. Thanks for all the info....from everyone. It was great help.... and saved me a bunch of bucks.'

Scott De Santi