Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jul 1998 01:50:54 -0600
From:         kenstich <kenstich@BEWELLNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: question for an engineer
Comments: To: EBeighley5@AOL.COM, "Vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Jason,

You ain't no moron -> its a fair question -> since I'm an engineer and former mechanic - I 'll have a stab at it.

Jason Beighley wrote: > > I picked up a used torque wrench a couple years ago that I'd like one of you > smart engineers to learn me about, if you can. It's rather small as these > things go, maybe 16", reads in Nm's(up to 70) and inch-pounds(up to 600) only. > Has a circular scale that swivels to read either of the above. It was > manufactured by Consolidated Devices, Inc. (City of Industry, Ca). The model # > is 6002 DI. There is what appears to be a military stock # (if you know what > that is) of 5120-00-288-8865, and it and the date of manufacture are stamped > one above the other on it towards the end where the socket fits on. Now, my > ????'s are these:

There are two types of torque wrenches to my knowlege - It sounds like you have what is called a beam-type guessing by what you describe as a circular scale - The beam-type is based on the spring constant of the lever arm (gosh - I hope Steven doesn't read this) versus a fixed pointer that also runs the length of the beam. This type can not not be self-calibrated - the pointer may be adjusted (by bending), but the spring constant is fixed by the material properties/geometry.

The "click-type" has no pointer, but is usually adjusted by rotating the handle with respect to the beam - there is a scale on the handle indicating the torque setting - this setting changes the preload on an internal spring mechanism. When the indicated torque setting is reached, the the handle gives slightly with a distinctive click. This type is more expensive, more accurate, and can be re-callibrated (mine is a Husky - says to return it to them for recallibration) - these frequently have ratcheting heads as well - In the aerospace industry, we use this type exclusively to the best of my knowlege. Further, we tag them with a calibration expiriation date.

This degree of accurracy is probably not required for most automobile assemblies, but it doesn't hurt either - I always torque lug nuts - I used to use an air wrench in my early days as a mechanic - When a car that I worked on (brakes) was brought back by the owner who described seeing his RF wheel pass his car whilst travelling down the freeway . . . I had to look him in the eye and tell him that I was responsible - we both knew that I could have killed him and his wife through my negligence ==>> TORQUE IS IMPORTANT !!! (exit soapbox)

One of the most critical aspects in assemblies is torque pattern and torqueing in stages - these techniques prevent warping/sealing problems/uneven gasket deformation. Heads/case halves and other large flanged areas are most critical

> > Is there a way to find out if it's accurate, without paying through the nose? > (it only cost me $10) > > Can foot-lbs be converted to inch lbs, and vice-versa, by simply > multiplying/dividing by 12? I don't think they can, but I'm not sure. Can > you splain this in moron terms so I can understand it?

Yep - Torque is force times the distance from where it is applied so:

10lb x 12 in = 120 in-lb & 10lb x 1.0ft = 10 ftlb

which is exactly as you has guessed -> in-lb/12 = ft-lb

> > If I can have it calibrated, will it stay that way for a considerable amount > of time, or will I have to have it done on a regular basis?

If you have a click-type, I would have it calibrated professionally (look in the yellow pages of the nearest city), but if you don't feel like it, or have a beam type, try this - clamp the square socket drive lug in a vise so that the hanging weight applied to the handle applies torque - coat hanger wire + weights - measure the distance (torque arm) from the center of the square socket drive to the coat hanger wire - you could use 12"of your 16" handle - since this is 1.0ft, the hanging weight times the 1.0ft arm with various weights would allow you to equate the applied torque to the torque reading - although this does not change the 'setting' or calibration of the wrench itself, it allows you to know that with an applied torque of 70ft-lbs (70 lbs times 1ft) that your scale indicated 65 ft-lbs (or whatever it is) - so, you could then compensate for your scale offset.

> > I know a torque wrench is important, as are properly torqued nuts and bolts, > but I'm too cheap to sink big bucks into a good, full-sized one if I don't > have to. > > Thanks, > Jason Beighley > '84 GL

I started out with Craftsman tools - still use them - but as a mechanic, really came to appreciate higher quality stuff - remember, you'll save a bundle fixing your own stuff and quality tools last a lifetime. I just got some Husky wrenches and a $50 1/2" click-type torque qrench at Home Depot two months ago - its not Snap-on, but the wrenches seem really good (feel/balance/finish) and the torque wrench is a pleasure to use (I've had a Craftsman beam-type for years).

The aerospace industry has torque tolerances - indicated either on the drawings or in production standards, but I've not seen this in any auto repair manuals - I would imagine that the professional organizations (ASME/SAE), particularly ASE have some tolerance standards.

Regards,

Ken Stich