Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jul 1998 12:03:35 EDT
From:         Todd Hill <Jwilli941@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 Westy transmission advice needed-reply
Comments: To: chiang1@USA.NET
Comments: cc: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hello Cary,

<< Fourth gear on my vanagon is gone (acts like its in neutral). I looked in the latest VW Trends magazine to check out prices and availability. I saw Fast German Auto,.......>>

Most of those places only sell rebuilds and do not actually do the work themselves. If you want a good transaxle and wish to mail order from a California co. then I'd try either Rancho or Carter's Gearbox Shop as they both have good reputations. As a general rule of thumb if the rebuilt is more expensive it is usually of better quality. The parts required to do the job correctly are not cheap unless you consider $275 for the 3rd/4th hub, $240 for the syncros, $250 for 3rd or 4th gear sets, and so on inexpensive.

>>I would also consider purchasing a used transmission from a list member if the price is reasonable. <<

The price maybe reasonable but how many times do you want to pull this transaxle? Bite the bullet and have it done correctly the first time. I'm going to guess that the first trans the Westy had lasted 13 years so I would assume that you'd want the second one to last that long as well. Also, since your orginal lasted that long and the used trans is of the approx. same age then why would you think that it will last longer or be in better condition than your old one?

>>Final question--does anyone know what a "metal intermediary plate" is in regards to its usage in a rebuilt transmission. A mechanic told me to make sure any rebuilt transmission I buy has one, but none of the transmission people I have talked to know what I am talking about.<<

What he is refering to is a 40 thou. thick steel plate that is sandwiched between the gear carrier housing and the nose cone. This plate provides a hard thrust surface for the mainshaft bearing and does not allow it to move in the housing. This longitudinal movement can break the teeth off of 3rd and 4th like shearing sheep. I've opened a few Vanagon transaxles and found the gears stripped and all of the teeth down in the bottom of the gear oil.

Good Luck.

Todd Hill VolksWerks Transaxles Olympia, WA