Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Jul 1998 10:44:50 -0400
From:         Tyrone & Marilyn Greene <macpine@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: A/C, R-12 to R134 Conversion
Comments: To: Lund <wlund@CCIS.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Lund wrote: > > To all: > I would appreciate people's advise about converting to R-134 on 88 Vanagon. > What is involved? Does VW make a change-over kit? My present system went > "flat" shortly after I bought it and I want to make sure I do the job right. > > Thanks, > > Bill Lund

Bill and Volks,

Converting to R-134 from R-12 doesn't have to be a painful experiance. I watched and listened to the guy that did mine last month. He's the guy down here in Monroe County, FL. that is in charge of keeping the cops (sherff and deputys) cool as they roam the Keys looking for them desperautos running loose after our endangered beach bunnys (not sure which will make you hotter).

Anyway, (not to be confused with Amway), as he worked on my van I asked him what was involved in the conversion. He said when R-134a changes first were made manditory, it was a pain in the #@*. But now it is rather easy to do. No longer do you have to replace ALL the seals because the oil that is now available, called ESTER OIL, is used in place of the old oil called TAG OIL.

The following is the work sequence that he followed: 1) Visualy inspect complete A/C system for any noticeable malfunctions and leaks. 2) Replace any and all hoses that had leaks. 3) Tighten any and all joints that appeared to be leaking. 4) Replace Dryer. 5) Pour ESTER OIL into high presure line at compressor and reconnect line. 6) Attach manifold gage set and vaccume pump and pump down system for a 15 min. check. 7) If all is well, then disconnect pump, start engine, turn on A/C and add a can (1 lb.) of R134a. 8) Check system for leaks. 9) Add remaining cans of coolent. 10) Again check for leaks as well as temp. inside of van.

DISCLAIMER: From my faulty memory I've recounted this proceedure, so if I forgot something important - oh well ;) you should follow the directions that comes with the retro-kit.

Ps. Total cost for me to have it done was $115 for the services of the county's finest plus oil and coolant. $126 for new dryer and high-presure hose w/fittings.

ALSO: As noted in an earlier posting to the list, my ductwork running the length of the van took a dive right after this procedure was finished. Haven't fixed it yet :(

Tyrone Big Pine Key, FL

87 GL Syncro etc....