Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Jul 1998 12:02:20 -0700
From:         Larry Wissig <lwissig@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      85 vanagon Camper -should I buy? more info.
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.com

Thanks to everyone for the help. I'm still looking at it.

More info: I drove it for a while last week, seems to run good, a bit rough at idle but no oil light. AC is blowing warm. Owner says it worked last summer, they have been annually recharging it for a few years. Haven't yet this year.

So I'm figuring the worst case here, major AC work. I have a guy that did a good job on my 91 Mazda so I'll just budget for the worst. Maybe I'll be lucky and get away with a few hundred.

Interior is absolutely spotless. And all the camper stuff works. Fridge (3 way) stove, sink, lights, poptop, awning, porto-potty. Has after market gas heater. Tables not in van, may be missing.

Body is solid. No rust. One big dent in door. Dark brown with tan top.

Mileage seem right. van is currently driven on a 50 mile commute a few times per week. Was family camper, family grown up. Owners are selling because they are moving and can't take it with them.

Here's the scary part. ---> Owner didn't know about any special coolant. He says he's just been using regular antifreeze at 50%. Hasn't changed it much cause he didn't need to.... just keeps on topping it off.....

So I got to assume it's leaking at the head.

He keeps it in the driveway and says he's seen no leaks, so it's probably going somewhere in the compression chamber and burning off.

So here's the bottom line. I love this camper, it's been well loved and taken care of by people who

cleaned polished and waxed it and fixed everything regularly... but who thought it was OK to maintain leaky systems (AC, coolant) by just adding fluid. This will cost me some...

I'm inclined to buy anyway, but to try and get the price down so that I will have some cash cushion to fix the AC and engine (at worst case new heads) . I read Bob Donald's fixit instructions, I could go for it myself but time is an issue.

I'm driving it again with the family today and will try to take it to a mechanic on Monday

Any last words before I plunge?

Thanks. Larry Wissig.