Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Jul 1998 14:05:45 -0400
From:         John Anderson <janderson@IOLINC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Haynes Manual
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

>>This is an English import not normaly sold here. The only >> place I know to get one is at the "Bus Depot". >> That is where I got mine. >> http://www.busdepot.com >> $25.00 plus S&H >> Seems a little steep but considering it is less than the rate for one >> hour of labor at the dealer the book pays for itself in no time. > >Actually, I ordered a second shipment of books and was able to get a >slightly better price this time around. So, last week I added it to my List >Members Specials page (http://www.busdepot.com/members.htm) at $19.95 plus >postage. The price to the general public remains $24.95, so you must

I'm going to interject here, first Ron's price is quite fair IMHO, this is a hard cover book unlike the $10-$15 Haynes manuals sold around the US.

BUT, and my opinions only here, this is the most worthless POS Haynes manual I've ever seen in my life, totally horrid and most definitely worthless, and I HATE to say this. The air cooled Bus and Vanagon Haynes are exceptional books, well worth the $10 at your FLAPS, well written, well detailed, innovative even in their make do at home tool fabrication. The Bus version is a toss as the Bentley is only $30, for an air cooled Vanagon the savings is more than worth while and the Haynes covers easily 85% of what could be delved from Bentley with much pain. But as much as I despise new Bentley manuals (hey I got one for damn near every VW made from '75-'92), that Haynes book is crap. Even as a supplemental piece of reading it is worthless, you won't learn one thing you wouldn't from the Bentley, and there are simply no real sections on A/C, auto tranny, etc. etc. etc. If you don't have any money whatsoever and can only scrimp enough to buy the Haynes, wait another couple months and buy the Bentley from Bus Depot instead, in the end it will be money better spent. And like I said, I DESPISE the Bentley Vanagon manual. The only good thing to be said for the Haynes book perhaps, well they do still list all the torque specs in a nice list instead of having to fish through pictures. But otherwise, save the $$$ for the real book. If you have the real book, only buy this one if you really want to blow $20 for no apparent reason to see carbed Vanagons and the usual oddities that we don't get on this side of the pond.

John janderson@iolinc.net