Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Jul 1998 16:17:18 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Protecting your fogg lamps
Comments: To: JordanVw@AOL.COM
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

To protect your fogg lamps you can attach steel mesh to their fronts--the kind of steel mesh things that large automotive aftermarket store chains stock. They make a size that can go over your fogg lamps--you just have to go to big store chain FLAPS and look around. The ones they stock are often called "stone gards" for off-road use, and come in both round and square kinds. You want the square kinds.

To attach mine, I drilled little holes in my fiberglass material that goes around the fogg lamps and around the turn signal lenzes. Then, at the four corners, I threaded cable ties through the holes and cinched them tight. Very neat looking.

You can get the large stoneguard mesh things for the regular rectangular vanagon headlights in some catalogs of JC Whitney but not all. I am sure Whitney also stocks the little squares so you can mount them on your fogg lamp plastics.

Funny that he comments on my van at Manassas as I left most of my accessories home that day. Dennis Haynes used to make fun of me for buying a $20,000 car and then hanging $20,000 worth of accessories off it instead of just getting a $40,000 car. My answer is that each accessorie multiplies the awsomeness of the whole. The trick is to then try to reduce the impact of all these accessories, and make the whole thing look stock.

At 03:56 PM 7/6/98 -0400, you wrote: >In a message dated 98-06-29 17:54:47 EDT, sullivan@OPENMARKET.COM writes: > ><< 5. Any good ideas for stone protection for the P-Z foglights (Rube >Goldberg > > >need not respond - these babies cost $325 a set; I'm not gonna cover them > > >with chicken wire or a clear tupperware lid!) > > > > I'm not sure of any, but I just dicovered that one of mine is already >cracked!! -- and it is barely three months old :( >> > > >NY listmember Derek drew, has a set of offroad mesh style foglite protectors >on his Oettinger lower driving lites, which are nearly identical to the >Pzwo's. Derek told me before where he got them, when i saw his "hooked up" >:<) (more acessories than i've ever seen on one vanagon) bordeaux red >syncrowesty at Manassas, but i forgot.. >derek? > >chris > _____________________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY & Washington DC ConsumerSearch drew@interport.net 212-580-6486 (W) 212-580-4459; 202-966-0938 (H)