Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Jul 1998 23:46:50 EDT
From:         Sam Bateman <SBate82659@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: looking to get hitched
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

In a message dated 98-07-06 23:31:32 EDT, Rob Wilke writes:

<<I am looking for recomendations for a trailer hitch. I am interested in a unit that possibly also replaces the wimpy bumper unit. If your going to send me images which i would love please make them something a Mac can download.. thanks in advance rob >>

Rob,

I have a "Valley" hitch that was (and I presume still is) sold by Sears Automotive. The maufacturer is: Valley Industries 1313 S. Stockton St. Lodi, CA their number is (was) (209) 368-8881 It bolts inside the supports for the rear bumper and attaches to the frame rails on either side where the bumper supports go through the rear apron. Quite a sturdy mounting, from my experience. It is a model no. 6870, has a gross trailer weight rating of 1500 #'s and a tounge weight rating of 150 #'s. According to the installation instructions, it fits Vanagons from 1980 to 1990. When I bought it in 1991, it cost $79.29 delivered and was Sears stock number 28 R22779. If I interpret the sales slip correctly, the Valley part number is 687081. I would try to contact Valley directly because I don't think that Sears has the best price on this - I have seen Valley hitches sold at several FLAPS in my area.

Sam Bateman Fork Union, VA '87 Vanagon GL