Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Jul 1998 14:12:48 +0200
From:         Renier Marais <JHB2I06@JHB2.PWV.GOV.ZA>
Subject:      Re: SA GRILL
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

>> I just phoned the local VW dealer for some prices for your info: >> It is the round headlight grill that you are looking for...Oo-------oO >> Double round headlight grill R1590 >> Inner and Outer Headlight R324 per side >> Jimmy Sanby >> '89 Syncro 15" >> Cape Town >> South Africa

Hi there Don't know about these prices, my FLAPS said R282 for the grill and R126 for each of the lights. Do you guys know what happened to James Cohen who rescently visited South-Africa? We didn't meet but did speak over the phone the day before he left again, sounds like a nice guy and a total Vanagon freakazoid!! He can confirm these prices because he did an 'indepth' study of our local models. Maybe he did a report back, and I missed it (DIGEST MAIL) but in any way, he will know best. I told him that I would be happy to help should you guys think about importing. Please e-mail me directly, or leave something about SA grills in the subject field.

BTW After the latest price increase our top of the range Microbus (Vanagon) Caravelle 2,6 will now set you back R 160 450. Now to make a comparison with the price, an imported Volvo S40 2,0 Turbo will cost you R 159 995 in South-Africa, or to work it back to $, one$ will get you sixR. For those of you who like specs here they are:

5 silinder/ 2553 cc, 100kw @ 5200rpm 200 Nm @ 3000rpm!! 5-speed 0-100 km/h 14,4sec top speed 159 km/h 11,94 liters/100km 85 liter petroltank fuel range 508 km It comes standard with an audio system, central locking, aircon, power steering, power windows and a security system, but with no ABS(not even as an option!) Eat your hearts out boys!! Bye for now

Renier Marais Johannesburg South-Africa