Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Jul 1998 09:58:19 -0700
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@SCHWENK-LAW.COM>
Subject:      Re: spacers and sproings
Comments: To: Fred Porter <fporter@EYRING.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Fred, It would be nice if you could enlighten us with the correct termonology if we are so wrong.

People are undoubtedly sick of this topic, so I will shut up and post no more beyond what I end up doing to my van this weekend.

I will reiterate that what the YZ drawings show/discuss is what happens when you insert a spacer in the syncro. Lowering the spring perch forces use of a stiffer portion of the spring travel...with the result being that the suspension is "stiffer" than without it...even if, as you say, the spring rate of the spring is no stiffer.

This adjustment allows you, on the YZ, to adjust the pre-load so that the suspension sags the optimum 4" under the weight of the bike and rider no matter how much the rider weighs (within limits). Hence, you can adjust it so that it sags 4" with a rider weighing 150 lbs. and then re-adjust it so that it sags the same 4" with a rider weighing 175 lbs. If all the adjustment did was raise the height of the vehicle without increasing the stiffness of the "suspension," then the heavier rider would always sink the suspension more than the light rider no matter how much you turned the adjustment.

Enough. steve