Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Jul 1998 21:31:05 -0400
From:         Eric Henning <henning@FP.COM>
Subject:      first road trip
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Took my first air cooled road trip ever, without any VW related mishaps! Bought my 80 Westy last fall but due to work, trips, lack of heat in the Westy never went on a trip more than an hour away. My wife was skeptical from the moment I brought "it" home. Kids immediately loved it. Took a half day Weds (July 1st) to pack her up. Hung the bikes off the rear using an inexpensive back rack I bought at a yard sale for 5 bucks, worked great but I still ran a safety line thru the pop-top hinges and around the bikes in case a strap broke. Gave the bus a tune-up the day before, running great, checked the compression, a little low on #1 but still good. Re-greased, swapped axle shafts just as a matter of pm.

Got up at 4 a.m. Thurs. morning to get an early start up I95 from Philly to Burlingame State Park in Charlestown, RI. No reservations allowed in this state park. Get there by 11 a.m. All 755 sites were filled by 9:30 that morn. Serious bummer. All other hotels, campgraounds booked solid. So did next best thing, camped in friends yards. They got a kick out of it, we didn't intrude so much and had great campsites.

Only spotted one loaf westfalia (sage green, on I95 outside NYC) Saw a nice two tone green 21/23? window in Newport, RI Saw several Vanagons and even had 3 Vans in a row in NJ near I-80 & I-287 (me, a brown Dielsel? w/ Tennessee plates, and a maroon Vanagon from NJ). I waved, they waved, we all smiled.

The 80 Westy ran beautifully the whole trip. Was able to cruise at 75 mph but oil temp would climb to 240'C so we'd back off alittle. Definately need to save up for a side tent. Did bring a small dome tent for overflow and storage. This trip gave me the confidence to take this van anywhere.

eric henning@fp.com 80 westfalia (now at 65k miles)