Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Jul 1998 12:21:35 +0200
From:         "Dr. Rainer Woitok" <woitok@RRZE.UNI-ERLANGEN.DE>
Subject:      Re: Pre-loading Rear Suspension :~o
Comments: To: "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@Schwenk-Law.com>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Oh boy :-(

this whole discussion is loaded with misconceptions (should I say "pre-loaded"? :-), comparing apples to pears (uhm ... off-road motor bikes to Vanagons :-), false claims ("pre-loading a spring does in effect reduce the number of coils") and now even mathematical equations (but as long as nobody shows that these equations are applicable to the problem and what the result of this application is, mathematical equations can't really scare me ... during my professional life I've just seen too many of them :-)

On Tue, 1998-06-30 09:00:21 -0700, Steven X. Schwenk wrote:

> Sure it will ride higher...but it will also ride stiffer.

Sorry, either -- or! Either you suppose it to ride higher, meaning the loaded spring has the same length as before, or you suppose it to ride stiffer (by which -- I assume -- you mean the spring has been more compressed, but see below). You just can't eat the apple and keep it at the same time. Pick your poison ... :-)

> And if this is > not how you pre-laod the spring, then how do you?

I assume by "pre-loading" a spring you mean to compress it. But compressing a spring requires to apply a force to BOTH ends of the spring. If the force is missing at one end, the spring will simply move. This means that if the force applied to the bottom end of the spring (in this case resulting from the rigidity of the doughnut) lifts this end an inch, and provided there are no additional forces exerted by the construction (in particular the shock) the top end of the spring will go up an inch, too, except you're putting more weight into your van. Only then the spring will get more compressed.

> And why isn't the > compressed spring stiffer?

Because of the simple physical law that the force exerted by a simple spring is proportional to (that is, grows linearly with) the compression of the spring. You CAN manufacture springs with a non-linear characteristic. They normally have different spacing between different coils (that's what you can easily see) and the material of each coil is treated differently thus resulting in different mechanical properties of each coil (that's what you can't see that easily). Maybe, the springs in your bike are of this sort. However, the springs in a Vanagon are definitely not.

You were asked by some list members to measure the length of your LOADED springs with and without doughnut. Did you already do this? And if you did, what was the outcome?

Sincerely Rainer

---------------------------------------------------------------------- | Rainer M Woitok | Phone: (+49-9131) 85-7811, -7031 | | Regionales Rechenzentrum | | | Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet | Fax : (+49-9131) 30 29 41 | | Martens-Strasse 1 | Telex: d 629 755 tf erl | | D-91058 Erlangen | | | Germany | Mail: Woitok@RRZE.Uni-Erlangen.DE | ----------------------------------------------------------------------