Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Jul 1998 13:43:06 EDT
From:         SyncroHead@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Wheels & Deals
Comments: To: jeannemaly@EMAIL.MSN.COM, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

In a message dated 98-07-11 11:44:01 EDT, jeannemaly@EMAIL.MSN.COM writes:

> How is the syncro wheel different from the regular vanagon wheel?

The wheels are the same as 2WD models. Some had standard steel wheels and some had alloy wheels. Both steel and alloy are the same whether it be steel or alloy.

> The tire dealers tell me that my original tires were 205 70 14.

That's correct.

> The owner's manual doesn't say exactly what kind of tires were on it nor are there > specifications about the wheels! It says "For technical reasons it is not > possible in every case to use wheels from other vehicles - under certain > conditions not even wheels from the same vehicle model." and "consult your > VW dealer." Is that a "This means you, dummy."?

It means that VW didn't want to gaurantee interchangability and wrote that to cover their ass. For instance if you change from the steel wheels to the alloys from the same model, the steel wheels lug nuts can't be used on the alloy.

> Assuming the tire > dealers' books to be correct and that the original tires were 205 70 14, > then, what are the effects of going with 195s or 185s. Negligible?

Not negligible. Likely lower load rating. Less traction. Poorer cornering.

> unfortunately, ONLY the syncro vanagon wheels will fit. the wheels from a > non-vanagon do NOT fit. :( so you can get wheels from any 1986 to 1991 > OK, not a non-vanagon. But regular Vanagon is OK? If syncro is different, > how do I know whether junk yard wheel is the syncro or not? Are the marked?

Yes, non-Syncro is O.K.

> well, the problem with mounting it on the front is it blocks your airflow to > the radiator, and you will likely overheat when going slow ... which is

Probably depends a lot on how close it is to the grill. Reasonable clearance (6"?) should allow normal air flow I'd think.

<snip>

> I've got it. NO FLAT TIRES.

This plan would be aided by using a light truck (LT) tire like the BFGoodrich Radial All-Terrain T/A. Size 27LTx8.50 R14.

Good luck, Jim Davis