Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jul 1998 02:08:24 EDT
From:         SyncroHead@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: MrEdII Broke! And its....
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Buslady wrote: >All 4 CVs are gone...$860.00...that's the dealer's price of course, I dont >have the $$ to get it towed to my usual mechanic who's 20 miles from here. >there's also a possibilty of one of the mechanics at work fixing it IF he >can find CVs cheap enough. He works on VWs. Who knows....

I'm certain that ALL FOUR could not be bad at the same time. Chances are in fact that NONE of them are completely bad, unless the noise was real loud & sudden. Since the weather's been warming up, chances are it just made your grease thin out a bit and the knocking started rather mildly. Usually happens first while turning a corner and can stay that way for months with slight knocking during cornering.

You could likely get away with having new grease installed for now and start saving for replacement of likely one or two CV joints. Of course check with Kyle (Volks Cafe), Jim (Sherwood Automotive), and Ron (Bus Depot) all of whom will have MUCH better prices than the dealer ever dreamed of!

After hearing some CV knocking from one of my Syncro's CVs, I regreased and havent heard a sound from it since. That was 3 years and 25,000 miles ago.

Good luck, Jim Davis