Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:35:27 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Privacy glass for VW's?
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM, dmc@CYBURBAN.COM

> > << Do any of the Vanagon/Eurovan models have a privacy glass option? > > > > That is the dark (from the outside) glass for the rear windows that is > > available on so many of the American and Japanese minivans. > > >> > > > > its called window tint... you can get it at any FLAPS (bad idea) or have it > > professionally installed (good idea) > > > I don't think privacy glass is the same as window tint. > The window tint looks the same from both directions, however, the > privacy glass looks dark from the outside and normal from the inside. > Correct me if I am wrong. >

You can get either applied. Typically, the "bronze" tints are more one-way, like a one-way mirror. They look mirrored from the bright side and mostly transparent from the dark side (on a car the inside, in a Police interrogation room, from the police side). It is much nicer to have the metallic coating applied directly to the glass like they do at the factory. The aftermarket versions apply the coating to a sheet of Mylar plastic that is then adhered to the glass. You are looking through a plastic layer and a layer of glue, as well as any dirt that was trapped between.

Vanagon glass is mostly flat, and is the ideal "first time" vehicle for the do-it-yourself'er. Don't attempt the rear window, though, until you've gotten all the others perfect. The kits sold at WalMart work fine. You will be gluing any dirt on the windows between the film and the glass, so the most important thing is to keep everything *really* clean. You will need to spray soapy water on the glass to slide the film onto. You should consider buying the pre-made stuff for this use, although I have always made my own -- my results are always 10-footers though. Great care in cutting the film and in keeping the area clean and in placing the film can get really fine results -- especially on an older Vanagon. If you want best quality, get it done professionally, but be careful to choose a really reputable place. A lot of places are just some kids with WalMart stuff and attitude and you can do better taking your time.

I've done several vans now -- each looks better than the one before, none are really great. A PO did one of my vans, and did a really awful job. A pro did one of mine and it is stunning. My wife was thrilled with the home-job I did on my doublecab -- I can see the flaws, but she can't.

Malcolm