Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jul 1998 14:21:23 -0500
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@TAOS.MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: rebuilt tranny slipping out of 4th gear
Comments: To: susan hafler <ceezuu@HOTMAIL.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

------------------------------ Hi Susan, This brings back some unpleasant memories of a type 091 transaxle repair. I had your exact problem with an 091 from a 78 bus after I rebuilt it. The bus bentley book doesn't cover the 091 however it is very similar to the type 002 used until 76. I ended up installing the 3rd / 4th gear syncro sleeve / shift hub backward and it pooped out of 4th gear at will. I feel that bentley used the word chamfer in describing a grove and I felt until then chamfer meant a beveled edge. I'm not sure what it means but after reading the haynes book supplement on the 091 I knew I made a grave error in interpreting what chamfer means. One good thing I kept telling myself during the 2nd removal disassembly and reinstall at least I knew what I did wrong. All has worked fine for the past 4 years and I have not forgotten my lesson to check both the haynes and the bentley if in doubt.

Darrell Boehler Makanda Illinois

Ps. Has anyone else ever noticed their spell checker wants to correct transaxle to transsexual? I find this somewhat funny every time I use the word transaxle. My pc is a complete ms software machine. Maybe I shouldn't find this funny and it probably it is very incorrect to mention it but I sort of grin every time it pops up on my screen so I have never added transaxle to my spell checker word list.

-----Original Message----- From: susan hafler <ceezuu@HOTMAIL.COM> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Friday, July 10, 1998 12:39 PM Subject: rebuilt tranny slipping out of 4th gear