Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jul 1998 12:48:52 -0700
From:         "Terrence T. Parker" <tparker@NARROWS.COM>
Subject:      A/C Necessity
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Dear Vanagon Experts:

I bought an ' 82 Westy recently. It's just swell. It has an A/C unit on the little shelf in the back. It does not function. It blows its fuse when I put one in the proper slot when I turn the fan on. What the hell. I live in the Northwest and have little need of A/C. In the engine compartment, I found what I believe to be the compressor( pump? ) for the A/C. It has a belt that drives it. My question is.....If I don't plan to use it, can I just cut the belt. Would it improve engine performance? It also seems it would be easy to remove the unit altogether. From the helpful postings on this list, A/C seems expensive to repair and convert etc. I think I'd rather just have the shelf storage unit with the speakers and the cabinet opening. Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice on this. Maybe someone in a hotter climate area might trade me for the non-A/C cabinet unit. Thanks in advance for your help.

Terry Parker ' 82 Westy ( " Himmelblau" )

[text/html]