Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jul 1998 23:42:51 -0500
From:         -Chip <Shaner@FAMENT.COM>
Subject:      '56 Kombi $350 (F) Longer than expected.
Comments: To: vintagebus@type2.com, type2@typ2.com, vanagon@vanagon.com

Well, I am searching through the air cooled newsgroup hoping for some bit of relevant information and I see this guys post. It says hey I bought a '56 Kombi for $350. He put pics up at http://members.aol.com/renovws/kombi.htm. There is one of a trailer hitch, looks the period. I like it. At this point I begin wondering if all these wonder deals are real. Granted the bus he got needs some serious work, but still.

I think of the esteemed Mr. Easterwood and his purchase of a pristine 21 window sunroof deluxe for $2000.

I then think of my friends father-in-law that while browsing at a garage sale picked up a beautiful wood slat roof rack for an early beetle for the sum of $5.

Josh Rogers, just south of me found a bus patch and harvested the whole bunch cheap.

Most of the time this stuff doesn't bother me. I mean, if I lived in out west where there are more VWs instead of KS then I would have the opprotunity for such bargains. However, the last 3 deals mentioned happened within 200 miles of my home!! Aurggggghhhh

Then it happened. Last night, late (3 am central) I got up to go and use the bathroom. As I passed the small room with my computer (I call it an office just for fun) I felt, well, pulled to go in and check my mail. Now to be honest, this is really not that rare. I often check my mail in the middle of night, respond to messages, and then have absolutley NO clue as to what I said. Marcus from vanagon list can attest to this. :)

So I check my mail and there is the usual thread on Vanagon about spring height or some thing like that, FI problems on the type2, and redux bearings on the vintagebus. As I began to leave something pulled me back. I thought it might be some kind of sign but as it turns out, my PJs were just caught on the chair. :)

So I decide to check the newsgroups. Lets see, aircooled newsgroup had the ususal chatter about best motor, acronyms, bla bla bla. Then I choose rec.autos.marketplace. I have my news set up to only show me the new messages, and only one popped up.

It read "Camping tent for VW bus or standalone".

Hmmm, I have always wanted a tent. So I open the message and it says :

"I have a large heavy duty canvas tent that used to attach to a VW bus but can alo be used as a stand alone tent. Good shape in two storage bags. It is about 8 or 10 ft square (enough for 4 people) and about 7 ft high. I am in Germantown MD. $$"

(I purposely left off the price at this time.)

The price is so unbelievably low that I darn near fell over. I am so excited I hurridly sent him 3 e-mails in a row that made no sense at all. I then composed myself, and sent a good One.

I hear nothing today, and I begin to sweat. What happened, did he sell it, is he there, am I nuts??? About 3pm I can take it no more so I look up his number and give him a call. Sure enough he was home, this tent will be mine. :)

It is complete with all the poles,etc. They have not used for 5 years or so, but he said there were not any tares that he could remember.

He is in MD and is going to ship it to me, I am stoked!!!!

Morale: It may not be a pristine 21 window with 5 miles for $100, but it finally is my turn to strike such a find!

-- Basking in the glow of his monitor...... Chip Shaner 4 kids and 1 cookin'.......He's almost done.... ICQ# 14983821 http://www.fament.com/chip/vw/vw.html - The Un-named VW page