Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jul 1998 22:41:59 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: WTB: odometer/instrument cluster for 86-91 Vanagon
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM, JordanVw@AOL.COM

> << Want to buy a used odometer and speedo panel from the instrument cluster of > an 86 - 91 Vanagon from >> > > > actually, they started the tach/dig. clock in '85.... > > chris >

Actua;;y, since he did not ask for the clock or tach, I assumed he wanted the speedometer and odometer like he asked for. These changed in 1986 as the speedometer includes the little circuit board for the oil pressure light. The 1985 speedometer will work on a later Vanagon (but not a syncro) if you use the flexi-circuit board and swap the oil pressure circuit board from an '86 or later. The '85 flexi-circuit has the right traces for the oil light board, but no connector, and it's a real pain to add one.

Syncros use a speedometer labeled "1600" while the others use one labeled "800" or "810". KPH versions are labeled "1000" and "500". This relates to the number of turns of the speedo cable that makes one mile (or km). If you work it out, you'll notice that the speedo cable turns the same for either miles or km -- the only difference is whether there are ten or sixteen teeth on the odometer drive gear.

The other thing is that only some Vanagons had the tach added in 1985. The tach, clock and trip odometer are "deluxe" things. My poor kombi got none of these -- just a plain-jane speedo, temp and fuel gauges. Some have an analog clock on the right. All the ones I've seen with the tach have the digital clock in the middle. Most seem to have the trip odometer, which is a very nice thing to have (I added one to the Kombi).

So, to the original poster: What are you looking for? I have some parts around for various versions of these things, even some relatively complete speedos (one in kms, no trip odometer...)

Malcolm