Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Jul 1998 16:28:30 -0700
From:         Marc Edwards <vanagon@METALHEAD.AZACCESS.COM>
Subject:      80 Westfalia probs.
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hello, I am the owner of a 1980 Vanagon Westfalia. As the owner of loaf and split window busses, I can say that this vanagon is nothing short of a total nightmare to deal with.

I am having horrible electrical problems in the engine compartment. The Bentley manual and the Haynes manual both contradict what I am looking at inside my engine compartment. There are, supposedly, 2 wiring harnesses. 1 from the Fuel Injection Control Unit which connects to injectors...etc and 1 that connects to the hall distributor, idle stabilizer...etc.

The one coming from the Fuel injection Control Unit (ECU) is pretty self explanatory. I've installed that correctly. The one coming from the Hall distributor is a joke.

Now...according to the wonderful Bentley book, which has been nothing but inacccurate for me, it all begins at the ignition control unit. Fine....that makes sense. From there it goes to the idle stabilizer....once again, fine...makes sense. From there, it goes to the hall distributor. Great, I've gotten that far without problem. However....2 black wires go to the coil (pins 1 and 4 from the Ignition Control Unit) and from there, pin 1 is supposed to go to pin 2 of the Oxygen Control Unit. That part is fine. Pin 6 from the Oxygen Control Unit goes to ground, no problem. Pin 8 goes to the Full Throttle Switch? Waitasecond....the full throttle switch already has 2 wires on it from the ECU. I am very confused here. Pin 4 from the Oxygen Control Unit goes to the fourth fuel injector? This confuses me even more! There's nowhere on the fourth fuel injector to plug anything into, except the fuel injector plug from the ECU! This has been driving me insane for the last 8 weeks. Can anyone shed some light onto this for me? Thanks!

-Marc -'66 Bus (Hobbes) -'71 Westfalia (Unnamed) -'80 Westfalia (*@!&%@#)