Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Jul 1998 22:47:55 -0000
From:         Bruce Ralphs <bar@ISLANDNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power window problem
Comments: To: John Koloen <jkoloen@EARTHLINK.NET>,
          Vanagon Listserve <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

>My passenger side power window suddenly stopped working. I get a clicking >sound from the motor when I press either the passenger or driver side >switch. Has anyone else had this problem? Was the solution to purchase a >new window motor? If so, is it possible to retrofit with a manual window >mechanism? Thanks. >John >Westy '87 > Hey John, same thing on my rear right door in the Passat. I pulled the regulator, opened it up ...insert: sprooiinngggg!!!.... cleaned it up. I then unscrewed the motor and tested it just with my battery charger. It was stuck but WD-40 freed it up. It had rusted internally as one nipple that seals a hole in the casing had fallen out and ibvoiously water got in. Reasealed that hole and reassembled the unit (that'll take a while as the closed loop cabling is strongly spring loaded).

Took about 3 hours from start to finish as I'd never been in the Passat door which would be more work than our Westy's. I'm sure 1.5 hours was trying to get the pulley into the regulator properlly.

Works perfectly. Good luck, Bruce

Bruce Ralphs, Victoria, BC '85 Westy, auto, 143K 250-727-7617 '91 Passat, 95K 250-727-7685 fax '83 GTI, 257K