Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jul 1998 11:37:21 -0600
From:         Gary Shea <shea@GTSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: hunting idle when cold
Comments: To: Eric Henning <henning@FP.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Eric -- I have an '81 westy, and my experience is that the hunting idle is directly correlated to being in need of a tune up, usually the damnable points which are one of the most annoying bits of pseudo-technology ever invented. Can you tell I'm sick of setting mine every few thousand miles? (Yes I have replaced the condenser!) If we have the same FI, then there ain't no idle stabilizer... at least I don't think so. Keep us posted on what you find out.

Best of luck,

Gary

On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Eric Henning wrote: > even though my recent trip went smoothly in my 80 westy i did notice > when i first start this 2 liter, air cooled that the idle hunts up to > 1000 rpm, then down to almost stalling then back again over and over. > once driven and warm idle is rock solid arounf 800-900 rpm. > > is this indicative of idle stabilizer or would a bum stabilizer show up > all the time? i beleive this federal model does not have an oxy sensor. > > any suggestions? > > thanks > eric > henning@fp.com >

----------------------------------------------------------------- Gary Shea shea@xmission.com Salt Lake City http://www.xmission.com/~shea