Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Jul 1998 08:45:10 -0700
From:         Ray Hunnam <hunnam@PNC.COM.AU>
Subject:      Re: 5 speed? they do exist (in Europe...)
Comments: To: Meier Michael <Michael.Meier@VT.SIEMENS.DE>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Meier

Have to agree with you on one point.

I have a 91 Van fitted with the MV series motor rated at 95BHP coupled to a 5 speed tranny. Came to the dealer that way, may have been a preferred option by the PO when he ordered it.

The motor uses the Digifant EFI. and is rated below the 112 BHP version DJ engine which was minus the Catalytic Converter. I could be wrong but I thought this higher bhp engine used carb's rather that fuel injection.

The five speed tranny is a joy to drive, except for the position of first. It is an extended H pattern with first being stuck out on its own below reverse. The change from first to second requires a shift up and across the gate and up again into second. You are correct by the time you complete the shift the vehicle behind is right up your " last part over the fence " but being the big beautiful rear it is they get the message and hang back at the next lights.

Apart from this the Vanagon is a delight to drive on the open road. The box itself seems well geared for Australian conditions with fifth being an overdrive gear and made for highways. We do not have the extremely high mountains that are in Europe or the Americas. Our highest mountain is only just over 7000 feet high. I live just outside Sydney and we have a mountain range at our back door called the Blue Mountains which are just over 3000 feet. I go up there often and my Van with the five speed handles it in fourth no problem. I guess our gradients are not as steep.

I would have thought that the five speed would have been standard in the US seeing they have the Intestates. I remember driving on them myself in a Camper Van (ok flame me it was not a westie) and thought then vehicle could sure use an overdrive fifth gear.

Sorry for the length but apart from the bad first gear position the five speed is a joy.

Ray Hunnam