Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Jul 1998 21:22:49 PDT
From:         "C. Blakeley Burgess" <cbburgess@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Cheap Source of Roof Seals
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi,

I've been monitoring the discussions about gluing roof seals back into place after the metal clamps have rusted away. Having gone the whole route of removing the top completely, pulling off all the worn out rubber, cleaning all the rusted crap out of the seal grooves and gluing the seal back in place with the top upside down on the ground, held in place by gravity and a million clothes pins, I would recommend the following cheap alternative to gluing or replacing the seals with a stock product.

Go to your local junk yard (that would be Green's Auto in Silverwood, Terry, beside the old ski hill) and make a line for the myriad of rusted and crumpled VW Rabbits sitting in a row. Pull 3 of the rear hatch seals off (you'll have to cut them to get them out from behind the hatch air shocks since they are continuous). Do they look familiar? Hopefully by now you'll be getting the picture. Give the guy with the big dog a $fiver and say "skip the receipt".

Since usually the sides and back of the seal are what almost always fail, and rarely the heavier front part, I simply pulled the three bad sides off while the roof was half-up (a kayak paddle is a most useful roof-prop) and cut it away from the front part. I then jamed the rear-hatch seals from the Rabbits on, splicing as necessary as I went.

Its not air tight but it looks good, works good, and the price is right!

C. Blakeley Burgess 1980 Air-cooled Westy 403,500 Kms (retired) Vancouver, BC Canada