Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jul 1998 18:00:01 +0000
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <meuser@mx.cruzio.com>
From:         Michael Meuser <meuser@MAPCRUZIN.COM>
Subject:      Michelin MX for the vanagon?
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Sorry if you just got this message. I just subscribed and am not sure that the first copy made it.

---------

A dealer just sold me a set of 4 185R14 reinforced MX tires for my vw vanagon. I checked the Michelin website and I don't find them listed at all. In fact the tire selector just calls for a normal 4 ply (185R14 MX4).

I've had the reinforced tires on previous vans and have always been happy with them. This version is much more agressive (more off-roadish) than ones I've had before yet is not rated for mud and snow and has a wear rating of only 240.

I checked the dot date on the tires and they range from 15 months to over 2-1/2 years old. Is this tire discontinued? The dealer told me that it was hard to get them because of under production. Why then would the tires I got be so old. It just doesn't make sense.

The dealer also said that they would have a tread pattern like the Rainforce MX4 which they clearly don't.

The dealer called them an MXT, but all the tire says is MX

What tire is now recommended for my 1983 VW Vanagon? Is the Michelin selector right? Should I be using the MX4 185R14? Does Michelin still make a reinforced tire for the VWs? Is the tire I got from the dealer a discontinued model?

I'm a bit leary because I just replaced a set of michelin xch4 that were made in 1989 yet installed on my car in 1994. They all began to separate with about 1/3 of the tread left. Also, note that the dealer did not say a thing about any warranty for the separation.

The dealer is the WheelWorks in Santa Cruz, CA.

Any help appreciated.

mike meuser meuser@mapcruzin.com