Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Jul 1998 08:24:46 -0700
From:         Jeanne Maly <jeannemaly@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wheels & Deals
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Idiot's question: How is the syncro wheel different from the regular vanagon wheel? The tire dealers tell me that my original tires were 205 70 14. The owner's manual doesn't say exactly what kind of tires were on it nor are there specifications about the wheels! It says "For technical reasons it is not possible in every case to use wheels from other vehicles - under certain conditions not even wheels from the same vehicle model." and "consult your VW dealer." Is that a "This means you, dummy."? Assuming the tire dealers' books to be correct and that the original tires were 205 70 14, then, what are the effects of going with 195s or 185s. Negligible?

unfortunately, ONLY the syncro vanagon wheels will fit. the wheels from a non-vanagon do NOT fit. :( so you can get wheels from any 1986 to 1991

OK, not a non-vanagon. But regular Vanagon is OK? If syncro is different, how do I know whether junk yard wheel is the syncro or not? Are the marked?

well, the problem with mounting it on the front is it blocks your airflow to the radiator, and you will likely overheat when going slow ... which is

Hooboy. I REALLY don't want that.

to lower/remove the tire/rack to open the rear hatch. and the other rear- mount racks require cutting and bolting to the body. :(

Seems like I've seen some for other vans, like Dodge or something, that are hinged so that you can move them away without physically taking the tire off. The would be the cut & bolt type, right?

i could look for some way to mount it inside ... maybe even flat on the floor with a "false floor" built over it, with other storage underneath (little

This might be a good way to keep me out of the refrigerator!

better might be some way to stand the tire upright behind the passenger's seat. or just lay it on the floor, back against the storage "wall" at the back edge of the sliding door. it would be tooooo much in the way there. and easily accessed. of course, when you put the flat inside (after changing the tire), it'll be all muddy and wet (it rains a lot down there). ;)

Storage wall? I've got a bed there!

I've got it. NO FLAT TIRES.

basically, there is not "good" place. :(

Ah, Joel, I was afraid you'd say that.

Regards, Jeanne 87 Syncro Westie