Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jul 1998 23:02:31 -0600
From:         Larry Hamm <ldhamm@XMISSION.COM>
Subject:      Audi wheel conversion- need info
Comments: To: Vanagon List <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Hi guys! Got my 15" Audi turbo six spoke wheels ('85) and getting ready to mount them up, but have run into a coupe of snags. Can any of you who have done this one help out? First problem is the longer studs for the rears-none of the stores or shops here can reference their studs by size (14X1.5X66) They all ask me what vehicle they're for. Does anyone know what type and year car takes this stud? One shop said they needed to know the "knurl size". Second question-all the reports about this conversion state that the wheels need to be machined to fit on the fronts, ranging from "slightly" to "2-1/2"". My grease cup measures a hair under 2-5/8", and I find that to get a center hole that size requires machining off the entire center "cone" on the face of the wheel. Is that the way your wheels were done? Or do I have odd-sized components? It would appear that the removal of this center cone might weaken the wheel. Anyone have any indications of this being the case? Any experiences with this conversion would be greatly appreciated. It seems (like many of our projects) that it ain't quite as simple as it sounded! Larry