Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Jul 1998 17:44:29 PDT
From:         Sean Bartnik <bartnik@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW=On-going maintenance concern
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM, dmc@CYBURBAN.COM

>I gather that almost every Vanagon owner has other vehicles. >Does any Vanagon owner trust it as their ONLY vehicle (as I would be >doing)? > > Yes! My '81 air-cooled is my only vehicle, well except for the '74 Karmann Ghia, but note that that's also an air-cooled Volkswagen, and it doesn't get driven nearly as much as the van.

While I was still in college I had only the '81 at school with me. Home was 400 miles away. My van has of course been a maintenance concern (it is 17 years old, you know) but it has been very reliable and has never left me stranded anywhere. Now it currently has low compression in one cylinder and so is scheduled for head surgery in the near future, but the prognosis is good and I'm sure the patient will make a full and speedy recovery. I fall into the "like to tinker" class and I'm often doing some sort of work to the van, even if it doesn't need it :-) -- I keep it happy that way.

Be aware that a VW van will test its new owner (I hear what you say about lack of karma but I'm starting to believe otherwise re VW vans) with a problem soon after purchase. If the owner handles the problem well, the VW will be happy and will serve the owner well (provided the owner keeps maintenance up). If however the VW is not happy about how its owner handled the problem, it will keep making more and more problems, in order to get the owner to sell it to someone who will treat it right. :-) You think I'm kidding, but I'm not.

Sean Bartnik Fairfax, Virginia ============================ '81 Vanagon L Westfalia '74 Karmann Ghia convertible