Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Jul 1998 23:48:45 -0700
From:         Steve <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Syncro Shock Preload
Comments: To: vanagon List <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Yes, it's back to this topic again, but only because I have something to report. I pre-loaded my front shocks today, and have now pre-loaded front and rears. I had already added an additional rear-spring donut between each rear spring and spring perch. These are a little over 1/2 inch thick to my recollection...Up front, I followed Harold Yancy's lead and inserted spacers between the top spring perch and the rubber that fits on top of the spring. I put a 7/16inch spacer on the left and a 5/16" spacer on the right.

This is the first crude adjustment. What a difference, though. This is exactly what I thought would happen. Folks, there's some good suspension hiding in there, we just need to find it. It's actually a little too stiff right now, but not much...and much better than the too-soft of before. The difference: the van rides noticably higher...and firmer...no more of that horrible bouncing up and down ... it's a much steadier, stabler, predictable ride on the freeway and highways. I took it on a dirt road along the beach at sunset (what a day)...as I suspected the entire range of travel is firmer. It does not bottom out on bumps it used to. There is still some travel left for subsequent bumps whereas before the second set of bumps would bottom out the front suspension. This is the single most significant improvement to my van I have made, with improvement in both on road and off road performance.

Regretfully, each spring will have to be removed at least one more time, and that is a horrible job. the first round was to get an idea how much pre-load waas needed. It's a little too stifff as is, and not balanced left-to-right. I am going to put a thinner spacer in the right rear (I need to measure the thickness of the donut before I decide what I'm going to use.)... and a thinner spacer in the right front, which I will drop down to 3/16" from 5/16...with 7/16' staying in the left-front for now, but I fear that will have to come down a little, too. These changes should balance the suspension and soften it just a little so it is more responsive. Unfortunately, this may take more than one more attempt. After all, I'm just guessing...based in large part on the weights at each wheel Derek so kindly provided a couple weeks back. I wish I had the time and knowledge to calculate the preload for each wheel based on weights ... or at least to know how much additional preload for those wheels with more weight. But despite the in-exactness, it is vastly better than before. When I'm done, it'll have to be aligned as the toe will have been changed by changing vehicle height...or something like that.

This was exactly likje adjusting the rear spring pre-load on my YZ...which is now sold :~(. It had the same saggy, mushy symptoms of too much sag/too little pre-load. By the end of the summer, I should have my springs dialed in pretty good so that others can at least use my specs re the thickness of the spacer at each wheel as a starting point. steve