Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Jul 1998 15:27:55 EDT
From:         Kim Brennan <Kim@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anyone not having problems?
Comments: To: dmc@CYBURBAN.COM, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

In a message dated 7/14/98 5:56:49 PM, dmc@CYBURBAN.COM writes:

>Judging by the amount of problems I see being discussed here, I must >admit I am getting the impression that owners of these vehicles are >having to tinker with them on a daily or weekly basis to keep them >running. >The other impression I get, is that VW mechanics are hard to find, VW >dealers are pretty hopeless, and VW parts are horrendously expensive.

Some ground info. The Vanagon when designed was an interim vehicle. VW was intending to move to a front engined, front wheel drive, van to compliment there water cooled Golfs (Rabbits) which were replacing the original Beetle. The Vanagon first started off with a complete reworking of the shape (making it better aerodynamically, than the 2nd generation Bus), but continued to use the same basic engine as the Bus. Even the old Bus's were underpowered, but increasing the weight in the Vanagon wasn't helping matters, so VW tried an experiment and basically put water cooled cylinders on the air cooled engine. This gave the beastie more power. However, as with many other experiments it had drawbacks.

The parts were one offs. No other vehicle used them. I.E. Expensive. The water cooled design was literally an experiment to extend the lifetime of the model, until a better researched design could replace it (Eurovan). As an experiment, the design had flaws, and the leaky cylinder heads is the main one.

Other designs features necessitated by putting a water cooled engine in the rear, made repairs more expensive. I don't know of other vehicles that have to run plumbing all the way from the rear to the front, and back again (which makes for some VERY long coolant hoses). Maybe race cars (and I assure you repaired those are more expensive than Vanagons!)

And with all that said, the ergonomics of the inside of the Vanagon, are the reason owners such as us, just won't give up on them, despite the problematic drive train design. Simply put a Vanagon has MORE room on the inside, and occupies LESS space on the outside than any mini-van. The Westfalia Camper versions, are jewels of interior space utilization. I've been in many different mini-vans (Toyotas, Nissans, Fords, Dodges) and I always felt cramped, and uncomfortable in them. The factory AC in my Vanagon keeps ALL people inside the van cool, not just the front two. In my Vanagon, 6 ft+ people sit comfortably in any seat, even if there are 7 people in the van at the same time. And that right there is main reason I got my Vanagon.