Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Jul 1998 10:08:11 -0500
From:         Scott P Johnson <beauxart@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Having problems
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Here's my story:

I've owned VW vans almost continuously since 1980: a 72 dual-carb, four 77-79's, and now an 86 GL.

In that time: 1. I have pulled tandem axle U-Haul trailers from Minnesota to North Carolina and Virginia (through the mountains) with an upright piano and motorcycle and other furniture inside, and the van loaded with more stuff (Oh, sure, I eventually had to replace the clutch . . , but you have to now and then anyway); 2. From 93-97 we did performances in Virginia in schools -- and logged 25K miles each year; 3. And that's not counting the once or twice yearly trips to Indiana/Minnesota and 2 extended trips to New Orleans, and to San Antonio during that time; 4. And every one of these vehicles had well over 100K on them when I bought/acquired them; 5. The current 86 was purchased less than 2 years ago for $2200 (with 144K on it); needed a transmission and muffler and some minor work. We've put 50K on it since then (some of it at 80 MPH) only changing oil, new brakes pads and shoes, and recently an alternator.

I'm not naturally mechanically inclined. I'm a "nerd" by nature -- more comfortable with philosophy and the performing arts than replacing a starter. But I found the VW's fairly easy to work on -- as long as I had several of the manuals at hand to refer to.

Sure, I had my share of problems, and practiced my off-color vocabulary plenty. The older buses have terrible heating systems. And summer cooling isn't much better. And I've destroyed an engine or two, and have spent lots of time beneath or "inside" of the things...

But considering the 500K I've put on these several buses over the years, I've found them dependable, comfortable, and understandable.

Scott

I wish I were half the man I wish I were.

_____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]