Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Jul 1998 09:42:34 -0400
From:         "John S. Cronin" <john.cronin@OIT.GATECH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: VW=On-going maintenance concern
Comments: To: Sean Bartnik <bartnik@HOTMAIL.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

On Jul 15, 8:52pm, Sean Bartnik wrote: [well, actually, somebody else wrote this part but the name got lost] > Subject: Re: VW=On-going maintenance concern > >I gather that almost every Vanagon owner has other vehicles. > >Does any Vanagon owner trust it as their ONLY vehicle (as I would be > >doing)? > > > Yes! My '81 air-cooled is my only vehicle, well except for the '74 > Karmann Ghia, but note that that's also an air-cooled Volkswagen, and it > doesn't get driven nearly as much as the van.

My 81 Westy is my only running vehicle right now. I have a 72 bus as well, but it is currently being stripped for parts, so it won't be a bus much longer (anybody need anything?). I will probably get another VW of some kind for a daily driver, just so I don't have to lug the Westy tonnage around everywhere, and so I'll have something to drive (to fetch some part I forgot) when I have the Westy partially disassembled, which so far has always been my idea, not the Westy's.

As far as karma, I don't know, but there is SOMETHING going on. It may just be interaction. Whether possessing some kind of soul, or just mechanical/electrical/chemical reaction (the same can be said of vehicle or humans, by the way), when a person pays attention to their VW, they learn to listen to it, to read it, to understand it, and both human and VW benefit - the human does not get surprised/stranded by the VW, and the VW gets taken care of better. So call it karma, or preventive maintenance, or tinkering, or self-delusion, or whatever, THERE IS SOMETHING GOING ON. Bottom line is, if you want to own a VW, you need to pay attention to it once in a while and treat it right, and it will treat you right.

-- John S. Cronin phone: (404) 894-6164 Office of Information Technology Operations and Engineering 0715 Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332 Internet: john.cronin@oit.gatech.edu