Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Jul 1998 11:19:20 -0400
From:         "Joe L." <jliasse@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: overheating??!!
Comments: To: Dan Resler <resler@LIBERTY.MAS.VCU.EDU>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Had something similar occur. It turns out that I needed to get a new radiator cap and "Burp" the system due to air in there that caused the system to fail to pressurize as it should. At a lower pressure the coolant boiled at a lower temp causing coolant to be expelled creating a low condition. When this happens your resorvour can be sucked dry while driving. As soon as you go to idle the coolant is "pumped" rapidly back into the resovoure so it is hard to catch it empty. Get someone to bring up the RPM's while you look at the resovour. If you see anything like I describe try the new cap and a burp.