Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Jul 1998 08:55:13 -0700
From:         Mark McCulley <raven@HALCYON.COM>
Subject:      Re: six cylinder vanagons
Comments: To: DavidM <dmc@CYBURBAN.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 10:23 AM 7/16/98 -0400, DavidM wrote: >SyncroHead@AOL.COM wrote: >> >> In a message dated 98-07-15 18:24:40 EDT, kennedy@FDU.EDU writes: >> >> > Consensus of past conversations, list and elsewhere, is that >> > VW never did six cylinder engines from the factory, altho as >> > Joel has documented, Oettinger did a brutally expensive >> > aftermarket six with Vanagon pistons. >> >> I'm not certain where I heard this, but I understand that this engine was >> designed by VW who decided not to use it. Oettinger then bought the tooling >> and the rights to produce the engine. Too bad VW never did a proper 6 >> cylinder Vanagon. I figure a few improvements to the Vanagon and it would >> have survived another 5-6 years and sold better than the Eurovan. > >Isn't the biggest marketing problem with the Vanagon that it cannot have >air-bags? They are now a requirement, so is side-impact protection. >These changes probably meant it would have been as expensive to retrofit >them as to design a new vehicle. >Ever wondered why they still make many of the old vehicles for sale >overseas - they dont have all the USA regulations.

The biggest marketing problem with the Vanagon was VWoA's marketing department. But it's a moot point, new Vanagons will never again be sold in North America. It wouldn't be that hard to add airbags to the Vanagon though. They would need a new steering wheel and dash plus all the electronics for the air bags. Don't know about adding side-impact protection.

MM