Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Jul 1998 12:34:15 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      FREE Westy A/C Upgrade & Historical A/C data
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

For years I thought my A/C system in my two westies was not working very well. "Oh well, that's just the nature of the Westy, with the vents in the rear," I thought.

Then I tried a simple thing: I aimed the Westy vents at the driver's head and closed the vents which pointed downwards. Voila! The A/C was cold up front! I was very happy.

This summer my A/C was not working very well. I dragged out my 30lb bottle of R12 and got ready to shop for a dealer able to recharge the system. But just on a lark, I went to check the vents and they were no longer pointed at the driver. So I reaimed them and VOILA! the A/C system again performed to peak levels.

I know it sounds silly, but if you are not happy with the level of cooling you get from a Westy A/C, try aiming those vents carefully to the front, and then close off the two vents that point downwards. I was about to pay $100+ or whatever to get my A/C serviced, but this was all that was required for good cooling.

Now here is a tip for NOT FREE upgrade:

My A/C system used to need a recharge every year or two. But I took the unit in to the dealer three years ago and he said the compressor unit on my 90 had been upgraded to a new model. He replaced the compressor under warranty and since then I have not had any refrigerant leak. If you have a leak in your system, consider replacing the compressor with the latest version.

Below is some historical data on the temperatures of my A/C ducting. Compare temperatures in your ducting to see if your A/C is working properly. What temperatures do I get? My A/C temps are typically 39 degrees (put a thermometer probe in the vents themselves) unless on a hot day, with the fan on #4 setting, in which case I typically see 49 degrees. Note that test results prior to Test #7 were with the earlier model compressor, which I later had replaced under warranty to the later model.

=========================================================================== ===

Air Conditioning Test Results:

TEST #1:

Here is an obsserved reading in the early summer 1993 the fan setting was on #4 and the temperature in the van was over 80 degrees to start and after a while the A/C duct temperature read 36 to 39 degrees. Now this was after my not having rechanged the van for an entire year, but my having tried to run the A/C occaisionally during the winter to keep the seals lubricated. I guess it worked!

@ driving in traffic and on highway --outside temperature 80 to 90 degrees F @ temperature readings taken with a thermometer stuck from the front into the ducting so that the red ball of fluid was about 4" into the air conditioning housing @ 1990 van in Wash DC area summer of 1991 Results Fan Setting Observed Temperature 1 49 F degrees constant 2 49 F degrees constant 3 49 F degrees constant 4 53 F degrees constant

TEST #2:

Exact conditions unknown but probably similar or the same as above except that: A reading at 65 degree F outside temperature and driving on the highway seemed to yield a temperature inside the ducting of 46 degrees or something colder than 49 degrees

TEST #3:

Summer 1991 , driving van around, 12:00 noon through 2:00pm, outside temperature unknown but interrior cabin temperature roughly 90 degress when started air conditioner. Later on, the interior temperature was 83 degress at 4:04pm after the van had been parked for two hours so it is reasonable to assume the following trials had been conducted when the outside temperature was 45-80 degrees.

Fan Setting/ Duct Temps/ Time #2 31.3 12:10pm #2 29.1 12.11pm #2 28.9 12:11pm #2 29.3 12:12pm #3 49.9 1:32pm #3 45.3 1:38pm #3 44.8 1:42pm #3 43.8 1:45pm #3 42.3 1:55pm #3 42.7 2:00pm

Based on the forgoing, it is reasonable to think that the interrior duct temperature of the air conditioning in the van would be 31 to 49 degrees even when the outside temperature is as high as 85 to 90 degrees.

Test #4 Van observed to reach 31 to 39 degrees easily on 85 degree days during the summer of 1993.

Test #5 Van observed 8/29/93 (outside temperature 87 degrees) duct temperature with fan setting on #3 at 34 degrees. Fan setting #4 yields duct temperature 37 degrees. One hour later speed 50 to 60 mph fan setting on #4 temp outside of 90 degrees duct temperature inside of 44 degrees.

Test #6 Summer of 1992 a/c vent temps observed at a consistant 32 to 37 degrees temperature even when it was over 85 degrees outside.

Test #7 With my brand new compressor and A/C setup 6/17/85:

A/C duct temp was 37 degrees and it was 82 degrees outside 33 degrees and it was 81.5 degrees outside @ steady 68 MPH 32.7 degrees and it was 85 degrees outside @ steady 65 MPH, fan #3 31 degrees when I put the fan setting down to #2 34.4 degrees @ 85.8 degrees outside @ steady 65 MPH and fan setting #2 Test #8 5/10/96, a year after the A/C system was serviced

A/C duct temp is 30.8 degrees F while the outside temp is 78 degrees F and the van is driving around 55mph and the van setting is on #3. Test #9 7/97, 84 degrees outside on the highway, Fan setting #2 33 degrees Fan setting #3 39 degrees

sustained driving at 65-70MPH TEST #10: @ driving in traffic and on highway --outside temperature 91.4 degrees F summer 1997; 55 mph sustained Results Fan Setting Observed Temperature 3 42.8 F degrees constant, then 43 degrees at 62 mph 3 43 F degrees constant 55 mph, 93 degrees outside Then parked the temp rises to 52.5 degrees

_____________________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY & Washington DC ConsumerSearch drew@interport.net 212-580-6486 (W) 212-580-4459; 202-966-0938 (H)