Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:20:23 -0400
From:         DavidM <dmc@CYBURBAN.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW problems?
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Larry Carter wrote: > > Hello David; I currently have an 87 GL with 217,000 kms. on it. Since I > bought it I've had to put a new rack and pinion, and an exhaust, muffler > and cat, a fuel filter, and numerous services. I don't think there is a > vehicle anywhere that doesn't wear out some items eventually. I've had > many VW vans over the years (more than 16) they all reflect the care the > previous owners took with them. One I had (a 69) took me and my family > 183,000 miles without needing anything except fuel and regular servicing, > it was a dream to drive, and gave good fuel mileage throughout it's long > life. The next one was a headache (73) which I couldn't make to run right, > nickled and dimed me, needed constant attention, drove like a pig. The > Vanagons are enough different that that scenario is unlikely. My 87 GL has > been my faithful and willing accomplice and, even though parts prices have > crept up over the years, is still the most for the dollar, over the long > haul. > It's not a Toyota however. I guess only you can decide if the VW has what > you want. I always wanted a 5 series BMW, even though I didn't really need > it, after years of looking, I found the best one I've seen and bought it. > I feel if there's something you really want, you should have it, no > substitutions. I'm delighted with the 535i, and know I wouldn't be as > happy with anything else. If it's a Toyota you want, get a Toyota. > Thanks for the information. Its nice to hear from someone who can discuss their experiences without resorting to ascribing their vehicles with human attributes. I am not looking for a Toyota, I already have one, I am looking for a Vanagon or Eurovan. That is why I joined this list - to find out about them.