Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Jul 1998 17:50:58 EDT
From:         kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: six cylinder vanagons
Comments: To: Perrinvan@AOL.COM
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Jim; I have read about this also. The Porsche test track was a good distance away from headquarters. They would start a caravan of test cars and Vanagon full of test drivers, mechanics etc. on the way to the track. Of course the Vanagon would fall behind much to every ones chagrin, hence the Vanagon with the 911 engine was born. It worked so well that the Vanagons would be the first ones to be snatched up out of the car pool, which included every model of Porsche manufactured. Drive Safely & Good Luck Ken Lewis<Kernersville,NC>

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998 23:18:16 EDT Jim Perrin <Perrinvan@AOL.COM> writes: >In a message dated 98-07-15 Kennedy wrote: > ><< One of the catalysts for my long > dream of a Porsche=powered Vanagon was a conversion done by > the Porsche factory, which I saw in the early eighties as it > passed through NJ on its way to CA, to the dealer who had > commissioned it. It was a white Vanagon with grey interior, > Porsche gauges, and a Porsche six which you would swear had > been installed on a factory line. Nothing about the engine > looked at all out of place or cobbled-up. >> > >I was at the Porsche factory for a couple of days sometime in the late >80s. >They had a Vanagon in Zuffenhausen which was converted at the factory >to have >a six-cylinder 911 engine. It had other changes as well, including >upgraded >brakes. It's performance was very impressive. It was being used as a >general-purpose-and-run-errands vehicle, but I don't know what >department it >was assigned to. > >When I asked about the Vanagon I was told that the factory had done, >as I >recall, about six of them. They said a couple of them had gone to >Porsche or >Piech family members, and a couple had gone to friends of the factory. > If >someone has a big interest in these vehicles, email me directly and >I'll try >to learn more. > >Jim Perrin >

_____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]