Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Jul 1998 11:32:28 -0500
From:         Fred Younger <f1y@CSM1.DOIT.WISC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: 88 Vanagon Wolfsburg Coil Spring Sagging
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

According to the www.vanagon.com web site, VW lowered the vanagons from 7.5" ground clearance to 6.3" in 1987. I used to drive a 1985 GL. I now have a 1991 GL. The lowered suspension makes a difference. The 85 had a plusher ride. Bumps and cracks in the pavement were not that noticable. The 91 suspension is stiffer and noiser. Concrete expansion joints can be heard as well as felt. On the plus side, the handling in the 91 is much crisper -- more like a car and less like a van. On the whole I preferred the ride in the 85. I would not consider lowering my 91, which has the same clearance as your 88.

Fred Younger 91 GL