Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:35:19 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes57@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: rebuilt tranny slipping out of 4th gear-revisited
Comments: To: Jwilli941@AOL.COM, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I'll reply to your thoughts below. -----Original Message----- From: Todd Hill <Jwilli941@AOL.COM> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Sunday, July 12, 1998 11:49 PM Subject: Re: rebuilt tranny slipping out of 4th gear-revisited

>In a message dated 98-07-12 23:13:18 EDT, Dennis Haynes wrote: > ><< .... If the 3-4 slider hub was replaced, then the gear should be >replaced also. >>> > >OK, I give, why replace the gear simply because the clutch hub assy. >was replaced? Its not normal procedure to replace that gear if the >dog teeth do not show signs of excessive wear. And would you also >recommend replacement of third gear as well because they share the >same slider hub assy.? {If the hub was repalced because it cracked, fine. If the teeth on the slider are worn than the teeth on the gear are also worn. If the chamfer is worn or the side of the teeth are mushroomed at al than the gear should be replced. Also, the gear will tend to wear on the side that rides against the main bearing. This wear translates to excess play that can also cause the popping out og gear problem. Third gear does not seem to be as critical and it does not get anywhere near the use.} > ><<< If the bearing is loose in the case, than the gear carrier needs >to be replaced. >>> > >Sleeved gear carrier housings have been available for several years >now and do an excellent job without the high dealer price of a new >housing. Also, the supply of good used carrier housings with tight >mainshaft bearing bores hasn't gotten so slim as to require a new >one for every rebuild. At a fraction of the cost of a new part at the >dealer its a viable alternative.

{ I am not aware og sleeved carriers being available for the 094/Syncro transmisions. Where can I buy them or send mine to re machined? How much do they cost}

><<< The rear housing also needs to be checked as it holds the >main bearing in place when the Trans is assembled. >>> > >Very true. > ><<<< If that housing shows any signs of having the bearing pound >on it, it also will need to be replaced. >>> > >Have it surfaced 40 thou. and use a steel bearing retaining plate. >Another item that has been around awhile and does a better job >in holding the mainshaft bearing in under load than the old softer >Aluminum nosecone. > {Again, i am not aware of this being available for the later transmissions. I have used them with success on the earlier Busses}.

{ Another pint, my comments were provided to help provide some diagnosis for someone with out a lot of Vanagon transaxle experience. I am amazed at how much time people spend playing with the linkages when it is obvious the transmission has a problem. The only adjustment that matters on the late Vanagons is maintaioning the abailty to find 1st and 2nd gears or having excessive play. Any other problems will not be fixed with the linkage}.

Dennis