Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Jul 1998 19:15:57 -0400
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Westy Engine Swap
Comments: To: 71714.2576@compuserve.com, vanagon@vanagon.com
              Eggspuehler on Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:30:32 -0400)

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:30:32 -0400 From: Jan Eggspuehler <71714.2576@compuserve.com>

I recently purchased an 82 westy with a bad 1.6 diesel engine. I have been reading yours and others postings about various swaps and wondered if you could offer any advice concerning putting a new engine in this vehicle. I would like to put a turbo in it but am having a hard time finding a good TD or TDI to put back in. Can you tell me which VW's had these engines stock?

You don't say what country you are in. Finding good used turbo diesels in the US is difficult. Only source for bolt in swaps are from longitudinal B2 platforms (e.g. mid 80's Quantums, some Audis). Transverese installed engines have different manifolds.

Also will it fit my old tranny or a 5-speed I have access to out of an 86 gas vanagon? I would really appreciate any advice you could give.

83+ has a different shift linkage. You need to change that also.

/Martin -- Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------