Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Jul 1998 20:51:21 -0400
From:         Nitaino <nitaino@SPRINTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trying to re-fix my starter
Comments: To: vanagon <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>, g-sker@tc.umn.edu

Well I finally got the starter rewired without the relay. I bought a continuity tester and boy is that the best $4 I ever spent. It turned out everything was fine. I just had to find out what was what and now it starts without the relay. Now my next question:

How do I install the relay?

I have a Bosch relay and apparently I did not wire it correctly. It has the 87,86,85,30(ground) terminals. I have absolutely no idea how a relay works. I know what it does and that's about it.

Nate El Great MY VAN STARTS LIKE A NORMAL CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-----Original Message----- From: Gerald Skerbitz [mailto:gsker@x139-110.med.umn.edu] Sent: Friday, July 17, 1998 12:43 PM To: Nitaino Subject: Re: Trying to re-fix my starter

Scratch my last questioning line. I thought you meant it didn't start. Not that it had the classic not turning over problem.

I had the same not turning over problem. I ended up putting a relay in the engine compartment. The relay only increased the current to the solenoid and starter until the solenoid fully activated. At that point, the current should almost all be going through the battery direct connection. The relay I used was the same as the fuel pump relay. I just happened to have some spares of those and a nice mounting.

Dan Houg struggled with the relay concept for a while and finally gave up and had his starter rebuilt. That was the only thing that solved the problem, so you're probably right to give up on that line if you've attempted it.

Once you've got your ignition switch working (did you buy a new one?) you might try doing the relay thing manually before messing with mounting and installing a relay.

-- Gerry Gerald Skerbitz <g-sker@umn.edu> U of MN Academic Health Center Administrative Information Systems 6-5379 Home St. Paul,Ramsey County,Minnesota, USA