Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Jul 1998 07:33:13 -0400
From:         Frank Condelli <ad793@FREENET.CARLETON.CA>
Subject:      Stebro Stainless Exhaust NEWS !
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

Well, I got THE FIRST stainless muffler for Vanagons on my '87 Westy ! Nice to be first some times. So here's the story. When I got to Stebro around 2pm I found myself in a very rural setting along the Rideau River just a few kilometers south of Manotick, On. In a series of small shops located behind a house is the operations of Stebro. Met Dan the owner, John, in charge of sales, Andy the technician. Andy was still working on the one and only muffler for my van. This muffler was completely hand built and is now the prototype from which they will make up jigs next week to start the manufacturing process. They wanted to fit it to my van to make sure the mounting and cleareances were right as they were working from having only a brand new OEM VW Vanagon muffler and mounting brackets. The muffler is square or box like in configuration as opposed to the round shape of the original. They do this with all their other mufflers also for ease of manufaturing for them. The overall dimensions are the same and when it is installed takes up the same space as the original. The mounting brackets for their muffler will be welded to the muffler. They made these parts up while I was there as they also welded on the input/CAT connection flange and the tailpipe. So, the muffler, tailpipe and mounting brackets will be all one piece. Connection to the CAT will be with a doughnut style gasket, not the original flat gasket style. The doughnut style offers better sealing and flexability in mounting. Their soon to be availble stainless CAT will be made to accept this style of gasket and for those of you who will mount this muffler to your old CAT as we did yesterday on mine, the doughnut gasket which will be supplied will need to be ground flat on one side to seal with the flat surface of the original CAT output flange. The muffler is about half the weight of the original and is of a free flow design so there should be a bit more horsepower from your motor. The sound is pretty much like original. I did notice on the drive home that the engine seemed to rev a little easier. The price is still not fixed and so far I haven't paid anything. Monday afternoon I'm to bring back my Westy and leave it for a day or two during which time they will remove the muffler, check everything, make up jigs for production, write installation instructions, get pready for production and then a final price will be announced on their website. As for the other parts, header pipes, Y connector, Y connector to CAT pipe, it looks like there will still be a good deal of time before these will be ready for sale. They do have a computerized pipe bender with all the mandrels but it is not operational yet. They just got this piece of machinery. The other exhaust systems they have made in the past did not require the sophisticated bends that the Vanagon pipes have. The joints of these pipes will be of the doughnut gasket style not the flat gasket style as original. The muffler will fit all watercooled Vanagon models. The pipes will be made in standard and syncro versions. I did not discuss group purchases or list discounts with them yet as they are really not ready for this. I will try to discuss this with them during my next visit on Monday. I hope this will answer most of your questions. If you have some specific points you would like to know I will try to answer or find the answer on Monday. Meanwhile, you will all have to wait a bit longer for your stainless muffler, a couple of weeks for sure, longer for the pipes and I will spend the weekend evaluating the prototype on my Westy.

Cheers

Frank

-- * Frank Condelli * Almonte, Ontario, Canada * * ad793@Freenet.carleton.ca * '87 VW Westy, '69 MGB & Lionel Trains http://members.aol.com/RAlanen/index.html