Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Jul 1998 15:05:58 -0400
From:         Daniel J Burgos <dburgos@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU>
Subject:      Broken axle stub on '81 Westy
Comments: To: VW List -- type2 listserv <type2@type2.com>,
          vanagon listserv <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Well, here's a quick run down of the situation:

[How it happened]

I was driving along about to come to a stop at a red light when the brake pedal sunk to the floor. Luckily the van stopped. Less than ten seconds later, the passenger side, rear of the van crashed down to the street. I knew immediately that the wheel fell off (and wouldn't you know it...I was stuck in the left hand lane of Main St. in Buffalo, NY!). Well, I jacked up the vehicle to check the damage and all I noticed was that the brake back plate was damaged from crashing into the street. You see, as I later found out, the wheel fell off because the stub axle broke in half right at the beginning of the thread for the axle nut. So there was my wheel, lying there in the street with the axle nut still attached (with cotter pin) to a little nub of the broken stub axle. The brake drum was stuck in the wheel too. The tow truck came and now my VW rests on three legs...

[The repair job]

Well a month later and I'm still working on this job. I had trouble getting the bolts off the CV joint/drive shaft with a 6mm Allen key. I ended up stripping two bolts on the inner CV joint/drive shaft, but was able to get them off with vise grips. The real trouble was getting at the outer CV joint/drive shaft bolts as they are located in a recess in the trailing arm. I ended up stripping three out of the six bolts there. So know I thought I was really stuck because there was no way I was fitting vise grips in that little recess. I was eventually able to get the four bolts holding the wheel bearing housing in place off. So now I just pulled the whole CV joint/drive shaft -- wheel bearing housing assembly right out through the recess opening on the outside facing side of the trailing arm. Unfortunately, I still wasn't able to get those CV joint/drive shaft bolts off with vise grips, they're just too tight!

[Suggestions]

Any helpful suggestions or advice for this job would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on replacing the CV boots, wheel bearings, and grease seals since I have this whole thing taken apart. Is there anything else that I might consider replacing while I'm in this situation? Also, would anyone recommend where I should turn to for good quality parts for this job?

Much gratitude, Dan Burgos 1981 VW Vanagon L Camper Deluxe ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Visit my Web Site at: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~dburgos -------------------------------------------------------------------------------