Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Jul 1998 15:36:18 -0500
From:         Martin Peitz <peitz@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      New owner found !Re: Report on K$3 Westy Syncro FS
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.COM

Wow,

looks like I really stepped on someones toes for giving an honest opinion. I had fun looking at the car. I was relieved that I did not bring it home. Having seen the car, I was not going to get in a bidding war either because I didn't care about the car anymore, eventhough the money would not have meant much to me. When I was about to leave SHE asked ME, if I would talk to you, since I obviously know more about the car than she does. I would have given you the exact same description as in the previous mail. She wanted you to be informed. The girl was obviously feeling insecure, because I was offering cash and was present while someone else made a promise to buy later from far away without having seen the car. Not an easy situation (I don't think you had already made a payment, have you yet?).

As it seems we can all be happy now. I for not buying. The girl for selling (hopefully). And you for having what you need: "I had no interest in hearing about the vehicle. It's condition is largely > irrelevant to me"

Have fun and I would love to see it once you are done.

Martin

(who has restored cars, has replaced entire bodypanels, and has done good work, and who has seen a lot of california bodywork and workmanship, some good, most bad, but who am I to talk: I live in Alabama now)

Marc Edwards wrote: > > My friend Jake and I finally bought a Syncro. We're both pleased with the > purchase, but......It seems that there's just always someone who has to > rain on the parade. > > > I offered 2700 and regretted it immediately. Luckily she didn't agree. > > She has a guy in the San Francisco Area buying the car unseen for 3000. > > He will ship it home (I estimate it costs at least 1000). > > She called the guy because she wanted me to describe the car to the guy, > > and the guy didn't want to talk to me (?). > > I had no interest in hearing about the vehicle. It's condition is largely > irrelevant to me. I was not about to get into a bidding war. > > > He may be in for a surprise. Us Southeners just can't imagine what a car > > from up north can look like. > > Maybe you should get out more, then. Fact is, there isn't much made by VW > that can't be restored, no matter how bad it is. I, personally, take great > offense to the paragraph below, insinuating that we are somehow in this to > cheat people. > > > So as a warning to everybody: > > If you are offered an 86 Westy Syncro out of the SF Area that looks like > > it has been sales prepped, it may not be a califonia car at all. > > It may be this one. Beware. > > Don't worry, it's not being sold. Believe it or not, some people actually > enjoy retoring and maintaining their VWs. That's one major reason we did > decide to buy this particular VW. We're not afraid of tools, grease, oil, > gas...etc. We have no intention of selling it at any time in the future, > however, if we DO decide to sell it, you can rest assured that all > repairs will be done CORRECTLY, once again, because we're NOT afraid to > work on the damn vanagon. Rust does not signify the end of a VW. If it > did, there'd be no split window busses around ANYWHERE. Fact is, with a > welder, a grinder and some body panels, you'd be amazed what bodywork you > can do. > > > BTW: Who is the guy in the SF Area anyway. Perhaps one of those parts > > places? May the Folkshome knows? > > My friend Jake (also an offended list member) and myself are the ones who > inquired and purchased the aforementioned vehicle. We're not a shop, we're > not a parts place, we're not a car lot. We're 2 people who enjoy bringing > VW's back to life. You all ought to be damn happy that someone has the > guts and the love of VW's to get a Syncro back on the road. Didn't this > list erupt because someone had the audacity to customize a Syncro to a > stretch vanagon? Now this same list flames someone else for having the > audacity to PURCHASE a Syncro? Seems like this 'Syncro Club' is getting > mroe exclusive by the minute. > > > Please comment everybody! Am I crazy? > > I feel good for not buying. Know the feeling? > > Not really. But then again, I've restored, and am in the process of > restoring a '66 Bus, a '71 Westi, an '80 Westi and now an 86 Syncro....and > each time one comes back to life as a good looking, good running car, I > feel great.....know the feeling? Probably not. > > This sounds like nothing more than someone pissed off cuz they got outbid > on a vehicle and now wants to make the vehicle sound as bad as possible to > justify not buying it. I'm still amazed that you'd bid $2700 on such a > piece of garbage. It must have looked pretty fine before she rejected your > offer. > > > Really, really appreciating my rustfree california Syncro, > > Really, really appreciating all the rewards restoring VW's has given me. > > -Marc > -'66 Bus > -'71 Westi > -'80 Westi > -'86 Syncro > > *********************************************** > Hostmaster - type2 mailing list - www.type2.com > ***********************************************