Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Jul 1998 11:12:55 EDT
From:         LSheeley@AOL.COM
Subject:      80 Camper
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I've been looking at 76 to 79 Type 2 Campers for the last year and have now added air-cooled early Vanagons to my search. I Knowo this probably gets tiring--"Is this bus worth XXX?"-- but here goes with another one.

An '80 weekender (no stove but fridge which seller does not know if works). Canvas in great shape, top clean with no fungus. Top seals so-so. Brown (cinamon?) exterior. Some seam rust and some surface rust at the bottoms of some windows. Shows 15,000 so it could be 115K or 215K. The front seats are worn with sheepskin covers and rear cushion is almost shredded. But the rest of the interior looks good and the pop-top mattress looks brand new. Rear screen and front privacy curtain and both tables are there. Still has FI. Has nice cassette radio. Needs tires. Chrome on bumper showing surface rust. Has a quiet-style extractor (looks like a car muffler). Has been serviced regularly by a reliable VW guy. Am going to talk to him about the bus this afternoon.

50'ish son has his just-deceased dad's 2 buses for sale. Other one is an 85 automatic with air for $6,500.

The 80 is $2,000. It runs very strong. Seems to have more power than some of the 76--79's I've driven. But--there is a ticking, almost a click, coming from the engine. My guess it is a colapsed lifter from the bus sitting for several months undriven. It didn't go away from driving it 10 or 12 blocks. I plan on at least a valve job with rbuilt Mark Steven heads to eliminate a dropped valve seat. Would do this on any bus I buy unless I find one with a recent r/b engine.

I know seller has turned down $1,500 so I'm thinking of offering $1700 to $1800 for the bus. I want a weekend bus to drive to car shows. Not looking for a show car, but will probably get a $500 paint job in Spring so I can polish it a little or may try to paint it myself.

Does this sound like a decent buy? Were the 80-82 air-cooled Vanagons lower production numbers than the water- cooled?

P.S. Would love to buy a camper in time for Circle Yer Wagons in Sevierville Oct 3-4.

Lynn Sheeley Knoxville, Tenn The List Hat Guy