Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Jul 1998 18:40:41 EDT
From:         kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Poor charging, hot start problem fix
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

FYI; I fixed a bunch of problems for almost no money! My wife reported her 85 GL's motor was not turning over good when hot. Visions of bad starter or alternator and battery danced through my head, triple digit price tags! My checks revealed a fair charging 13.2 voltage at the battery but it dropped to 12.2 with the A/C running.This was insufficient to keep the battery charged, hence the trouble starting. To make a long story short I parralled the exsisting alternator to starter cable with a beefier 8 gauge cable I made up (I remeber reading on the list that this was a weak link). The battery now was getting a healthy 13.5 volts with the A/C on; A 10% voltage gain! With that extra voltage I immediately noticed an improvement in the headlight output,the motor spun just fine, A/C fan blew harder and I think the radio even sounded better!Boy was I proud of my self<big grin>. If any body is interested I can make some cables for you.$10 should get one to your house. Drive Safely & Good Luck Ken Lewis<Kernersville,NC>

_____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]